For a couple years now I have wanted to make hummus, but have been intimidated. I found a great recipe on All Recipes, tweaked it, and decided to make some today. It turned out wonderful!!!
1/2 lb dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans
6 cups of water
4 oz jar of red peppers
Tahini paste (found in peanut butter section of store)
3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
Directions to Cook Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans:
- Rinse beans very well
- Put in large pot and pour 6 cups of water over beans
- Let soak overnight or for 8-10 hours
- After soaking bring pot of water to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to Medium and cook for 2 hours or until tender.
- Put all ingredients except the beans in a blender and puree
- Once ingredients are well mixed add beans and puree - That's it!!!!!!!
- Hummus is normally served cold or chilled. After you pull it out of the blender allow to cool in the fridge for a couple hours before serving.
Servings: Approx. 36 ounces
I had no idea how much hummus dry beans would make. So I cooked 1.5 lbs of dried beans, and ended up with 7 lbs!!!!! of hummus. Glad we all like it so much! :)
1/2 lb Chickpeas/Garbanzo Beans: $1
1/2 jar roasted peppers: $.50
Tahini Paste: $.25
(My huge batch came to $5.75)