Since day one of drinking countless cups of bone broth, all I have wanted was Mexican food. I literally had dreams about guacamole, green chili salsa, and beef fajitas. Thursday I passed Chipotle and nearly cried, but then I was inspired and nearly heard angels sing.
Ideas of how I could recreate the Chipotle Burrito Bowl with GAPS allowed foods started swarming through my mind. I called my insanely creative husband, and we came up with a plan. Victory was ours....
Paleo Burrito Bowl
2 heads cauliflower ($2)
2 acorn squash ($3)
2 Free-Range Chicken Breasts ($6)
1 Onion ($.33)
1 Bell Pepper ($1.50)
4 T Taco Seasoning, divided
2 T extra virgin coconut oil, divided
4 garlic cloves minced
1/4-1/3 (depending on preference) cup chopped cilantro ($.50)
*all listed ingredients are organic
Total: $14.33 (a splurge, but far cheaper than what I could have fed my family of 5 at Chipotle and it was grain-free)
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees
1. Peel, de-seed, and cut acorn squash into small cubes. Toss in 1T coconut oil and 2T taco seasoning. Put in large skillet and cook on medium heat until the squash is very tender (mashable with a fork).
2. Meanwhile, cut cauliflower into chunks, remove stems, and place in food processor with the cilantro. Pulse together until the cauliflower is very small (like small grains of rice). Put cauliflower in water in a medium pot and cook on med-high heat for 20 minutes.
3. Season Chicken with 2T of taco seasoning, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
4. Slice onions and bell pepper. Saute bell pepper, sliced onions and garlic in 1T until the onions are transparent.
5. Make the guacamole! Place 2 avocados in food processor, add juice of 1 lemon, salt, pepper, and 2T of pre-made salsa (make sure to check for xantham gum if you are grain-free and sugar)
6. Drain the cauliflower in a strainer - there are some small bits of cauliflower. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the cauliflower and stir.
7. Start layering the foods how you like!
This meal was absolutely amazing! We all fell silent and inhaled food like we hadn't had anything to eat in weeks. Really we hadn't had anything that good to eat in a while, but this meal was exceptional. Brandon and I were intentional about having leftovers for a late-lunch during our kids nap-time the next day. ;)