Cuban Black Beans

15 April 2009

It took many, many attempts to get my Cuban black beans right, and I'm now sharing the recipe with you. I'm pretty sure my mother-in-law and my father-in-law's sister are reading - so please jump in if I forgot anything.

Ingredients:

1 lb of dried black beans, washed and thoroughly picked through
1 large onion, diced
1 green or yellow pepper, diced
6 cloves of garlic (I usually throw in 6-8, but we love garlic)
2 teaspoons of cumin
3 teaspoons of COARSELY chopped dried oregano, 1 teaspoon of finely chopped oregano
1.5 teaspoons of paprika
1 heaping teaspoon of salt
Black pepper to taste
2 bay leaves **(thanks Candi/Keith - forgot that one)
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
5 cups of water

*Many people add 5-6 pieces of bacon during the last step. The only time I do this is if there is ANY chance my Cuban in-laws will taste my beans. (Pork grosses me out.)

Directions:

1. Place beans in a large saucepan with enough water to cover, and soak 8 hours, or overnight; drain.
2. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat, and saute onion, green bell pepper, and garlic until tender.
3. Into the onion mixture, stir the drained beans, water, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender.

Serve over cooked rice with tomatoes as a side, and I garnish my black beans with cilantro.
Serves 6

Cost:

Black beans: $1
Onion & Green pepper: $1
Spices: $.15
Olive oil: $.25
Rice: $.25

Total: $2.40

2 comments:

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

Well, I'm just so tickled. I have been trying to get my hands on this recipe and now its here in the blog world! Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Such a yummy dish :) My Cuban MIL adds bay leaves and lemon juice to hers.

Post a Comment