There is pure excitement and enjoyment over dinner when sweet & spicy chicken is served. There are a ton of recipes on the net to make similar dishes, but I really had to mess with the recipes to find one that Brandon and I liked and wasn't too spicy for the kids. I have mastered it, and this meal rotates through our dinner menu whenever chicken legs go on sale.
2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 chicken legs (or thighs, tenders, etc)
- Spay Olive Oil (I will write about this soon )
- 6 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of mustard
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.
- Combine honey, vinegar and mustard in a small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush 1/4 cup honey mixture on chicken. Broil 1 minute. Remove chicken from oven and turn over. Brush chicken with remaining honey mixture. Broil 1 additional minute or until chicken is done.
- OR (!!!!!)
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Put on grill, and grill using an indirect heating method. Cook until internal temp is 80 degrees (using a meat thermometer), and then turn the meat over and cook until the internal temp reaches 160 degrees.
- Combine honey, vinegar, and mustard, stirring well. Once chicken reaches 160 degrees, spread sauce over chicken. Allow the chicken to cook until internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
Serve with sweet potatoes (or sweet potato fries), a salad, a broccoli slaw, veggies, etc.
Cost of Chicken
3 lbs organic chicken legs (Sale at Sprouts): $1.89/lb - $5.67
Local Honey: $.50
Spices (buy in bulk from Vitacost): ~$.15
Total: $6.32 for about 12-13 legs
(We always have leftovers, and use it to make chicken salads for the adults the next day)