My family absolutely loves these tortillas. When I make them I know to make a double batch, because they disappear so fast!
* 2 3/4 whole wheat flour
* ½ tsp of salt
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ½ cup of olive oil
* 1 1/4 cup of hot water
- Mix the flour and salt.
- Mix in the oil by hand until the mixture resembles small peas.
- Add the water slowly until you have a soft elastic ball. You may need to add a little more or less water, but do it slowly. You may not really need as much water as you think you do.
- Knead until smooth.
- Cover with a damp towel and then let rest 1-8 hours.
- Make about 16 golf ball sized balls.
- Flatten and roll each ball into a flat round disk.
- Cook on a very hot skillet. No oil is necessary.
- Flip when bottom side is golden, the top should be bubbling slightly when ready. Use a spatula to lift the edge and check for doneness before flipping completely.
- Keep the cooked tortillas warm by covering with a damp towel while you continue to cook.
Makes 16 tortillas @ 141 calories each
Olive Oil: $.23
Salt/Baking Powder: >$.10
Total for 16 Tortillas: $. 58