I have passed this recipe onto many friends, and I'm continually tweaking it. These are very healthy, easy to make, and the entire family loves them!
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, or 1 teaspoon powdered stevia
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 3/4 cup raisins, slivered almonds, walnuts, craisins (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup of apple sauce (I use my carrot applesauce. Saves money and includes carrots)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
*I am always changing this recipe, because it keeps my children eating them. I often replace part of the flour, or wheat germ, with ground flax. You can add pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon, and fresh fruit instead of the dried. It's a great recipe to get creative!*
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats,stevia (or brown sugar), wheat germ, cinnamon, flour, raisins and salt. Make a well in the center, and pour in the honey, egg, apple sauce and vanilla. Mix well using your hands. Pat the mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until the bars begin to turn golden at the edges. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut into bars while still warm. Do not allow the bars to cool completely before cutting, or they will be to hard to cut.
Servings: 18-24 granola bars depending on how they're cut
Prep time: 5-7 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Stevia: $.05 or Brown Sugar: $.15
Wheat Germ: $.25
Dried Fruit/Nuts: $.50
1 Egg: $.16
Total: $2.05 (you get 2-3 times the amount of granola bars for $2 than what you could buy in the supermarket!!)