Carrot Applesauce

05 March 2009

Getting my toddler sons to eat carrots has been one of my biggest dietary goals and challenges. I found a crockpot applesauce recipe at 365 Crockpot and started to modify it. My boys and my husband love this applesauce, and my boys have never noticed the carrots! It makes quite a bit, but it quickly disappears.

Ingredients:

8 large apples, skinned ,cored, and sliced into 6-8 pieces
1 pound of carrots, skinned, and cut in 1" pieces
1 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp of real vanilla
1/4 tsp of powdered stevia
1/2 cup of water

Directions:

Prep apples and carrots according to ingredient list, and place them in the crockpot. Add the water, vanilla, stevia and cinnamon.

Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. When the apples are super tender, mash with a potato masher or use a hand mixer to blend. Store in an airtight container, or recycle older applesauce jars from the store.

Serves: 8 larger portions, 14-16 toddler sized portions

*Note: I've slowly been increasing the amount of carrots from 1 lb to 1.5 lbs and still no complaints!

Cost:

1.5 lbs of apples on sale: $1.00
1 lb of carrots: $.50
Stevia, vanilla, & cinnamon (generous estimate): $.10

Total: $1.60

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm going to have to try this one! I make my own "applesauce" by just pureeing apples, but I'm sure the kids would love the extras added in. :)

Anonymous said...

This sounds good! I'll have to try it out on the kids soon. :)

Post a Comment