How and Why to Make Your Own Meat Stocks

29 October 2011

Homemade stocks are beneficial to your budget and your health. The cost of a generic can of chicken or beef broth is usually around $.60-$.75 on sale, and it usually takes at least two cans to make one soup recipe. Another option is organic, free-range chicken broth in a box, and those boxes usually cost anywhere from $2.50-$3. Costco, however, sells 6 boxes of Pacific Coast organic, free-range chicken broth for $10 if you want to skip out on today's lesson. My organic, free-range chicken stock costs $.53 per quart, and my grassfed beef stock costs $.66 per quart!

Saving money isn't the only reason to make your own stock though. If the stocks are prepared the right way they are very nutritious. As you simmer stocks minerals, cartilage and marrow seep from the bones. Stocks are a great source of gelatin. I could go onto explain the benefits of gelatin, but another blogger has done it so well. If you're interested, please check out what The Healthy Home Economist has to say.

For centuries chicken broth has been used to treat illness, known as "Jewish penicillin, and to supplement diets where there is not much meat available. Gelatin has helped in the treatment of anemia, diabetes and other blood diseases. Gelatin is also great for digestion.

Now onto the recipe. My recipes are from Nourishing Traditions (a book I cannot recommend enough), but I am also going to explain how I do it and my costs. My steps/tips are in italics and parenthesis, and the cost of each stock is at the end of each recipe.

4 Quarts of Chicken Stock

1 whole free-range chicken or 2 to 3 pounds of bony chicken parts, such as necks, backs, breastbones and wings*
Gizzards from one chicken (optional)
2-4 chicken feet (optional)
4 quarts cold filtered water
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
1 bunch parsley

*Note: free-range chickens give the best results. Caged/battery-raised chickens will not produce stock that gels most of the time.

- If you are using a whole chicken, cut off the wings and remove the neck, fat glands and the gizzards from the cavity.
- Cut chicken parts into several pieces. If you are using a whole chicken, remove the neck and wings and cut them into several pieces. (Like I mentioned in this post - I save bones!)
- Place chicken or chicken pieces in a large stainless steel pot (I use my slow cooker) with cold (VERY IMPORTANT it starts out cold to open the cartilage and bone fibers to open) water, vinegar and all vegetables except parsley.
- Let stand 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Bring to a boil (or turn to "high" on your slow cooker for two hours), and remove scum that rises to the top.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 6 to 8 hours.
- The longer you cook the stock, the richer and more flavorful it will be.
- About 10 minutes before finishing the stock, add parsley. This will impart additional mineral ions to the broth.
- Let cool in the refrigerator. There is no need to remove the congealed fat from the top.
- Transfer to smaller container and to the freezer for long-term storage. (Once my stock is cooled in the fridge I pour it into quart size baggies. I know many are opposed to baggies, please be gracious - I'm still a work in progress. Once the baggies are sealed I mark the date and keep the stock in the freezer for up to 4 months.)

Cost:

Chicken Bones (Saved from Rosie's Chicken purchased at Sprouts): Free because we are using the chicken in other meals
Organic Onion: $.30
Carrots: $.50
Celery: $.50
Seasonings: $.50
Filtered Water: $.35

Total: $2.15 (4 quarts)


8 Quarts of Beef Stock

about 4 pounds beef marrow and knuckle bones
1 calves foot, cut into pieces (I have yet to add a calves foot)
3 pounds meaty rib or neck bones
4 or more quarts cold filtered water
1/2 c. vinegar
3 onions, coarsely chopped
3 carrots coarsely chopped
3 celery stick, coarsely chopped
several sprigs of fresh thyme, tied together
1 t. dried green peppercorns, crushed
1 bunch parsley

- Place knuckle and marrow bones and calves foot in a very large pot with vinegar. (I use my slow cooker) Cover with cold (VERY IMPORTANT it starts out cold to open the cartilage and bone fibers to open) water. Let stand for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, place any meaty bones in a roasting pan (I use a Pyrex) and brown at 350 degrees in the oven.
- When the bones are well browned, add to the pot (slow cooker) along with the vegetables.
- Pour the fat out of the roasting pan and add cold water to the pan, set over a high flame/temperature and bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon to loosen up coagulated juices. (Because I don't have a roasting pan I add boiling water from a kettle) Add this liquid to the pot (slow cooker). Add additional water, if necessary, to cover the bones, but the liquid should come no higher than within 1 inch of the rim of the pot... it will cook over if it is higher.
- Bring to a boil. (Or set on high for two hours in your slow cooker) Remove scum that rises to the top with a spoon. After you have skimmed, reduce heat and add the thyme and crushed peppercorns.
- Simmer the stock for at least 12 and as long as 72 hours. (I put my slow cooker on low for 24 hours)
- Just before finishing, add the parsley and simmer another 10 minutes. Strain, remove bones with tongs or a slotted spoon.
- Let cool in the frig. Remove the congealed fat from the top.
- Transfer to smaller container and to the freezer for long-term storage. (Once my stock is cooled in the fridge I pour it into quart size baggies. I know many are opposed to baggies, please be gracious - I'm still a work in progress. Once the baggies are sealed I mark the date and keep the stock in the freezer for up to 4 months.)
- You may eat the marrow spread on bread or leave it in the broth.

Cost:

Grassfed Femur Bones (Matador) @ $.50/lb - $2.50
Organic Onions: $1
Carrots: $.50
Celery: $.50
Seasonings: $.50
Filtered Water: $.35

Total: $5.35 (8 Quarts)


*Freezer tip:
if you make sure you lay your broth (or other soups) flat as you freeze them, once they are frozen they "stand up" and take up very little space in your freezer. Almost like they are filed on a shelf.

I hope this post was not confusing. It is not difficult and truly takes very little time. If something wasn't clear please don't hesitate to ask. The next time I make my stocks I will be sure to post my pictures. Enjoy!






0 comments:

Post a Comment