I have this little obsession with flour sack towels. They have totally replaced paper towels in our house, and I have never looked back. I go through 3-4 of the towels a day, and have a special bucket with my Charlie's Soap and tea tree oil to throw the soiled towels, dish rags, and sponges in. When it's time to wash a load of towels the contents of the bucket get thrown in. Extremely easy, and saves big on not using 2-3 rolls of paper towel a week.
The many reasons I love my flour sack towels:
- Lint free
- Dry quickly after cleaning up messes, or just letting air dry after a wash
- Absorb a lot
- Environmentally friendly/Reduce Waste
- They sun very well (sunning gets stains out)
How I use my flour sack towels:
- Place one over the back of the boy's chairs each morning to wipe face/hands throughout the day
- Use to dry dishes
- Clean up spills
- Clean mirrors (remember they are lint free)
- Cut down to smaller sizes they make great cloth napkins
I purchased my towels a while ago, but you can find packs of 4 towels for $4-$5 at Target. I have been using mine for well over a year, and they have only gotten better over time!
1 set every couple of years: $16-$20 for 16 towels (this is plenty!!!)
Cost of 2 rolls/week: $2(52 weeks) = $104/year
Savings: $80/year - if you replace all of the flour sack towels every year!