Ariba! Spicy Cranberry Turkey

21 November 2011

We have been going to an evening service at church for seven years, but we recently moved to a different church to learn more about church planting, and services are in the morning. I don’t recall having a ravenous hunger that overcomes me during mid-morning sermons; however, I have had three children in seven years so my memory isn’t always reliable. The last three weeks I have emerged from church willing and ready to eat anything and everything. With my stomach growling, I have been very thankful for lunch in the slow cooker, and I am now convinced that slow cookers were invented for Sunday afternoons.

Last week I found Kalyn’s Kitchen recipe for cranberry salsa. Knowing I wanted to do something with it, but knowing I would never go for the splenda, I decided to change things up a bit. I remembered an old Weight Watchers recipe my grandma made, and decided to cook a turkey breast in the
“salsa.” My version of the salsa ended up incredible and without any added sweeteners!

My stomach rumbled a tad louder (or so it seemed) during church, and I couldn't wait to get home. The meal was definitely worth the wait. My family flipped over this recipe. The end result was sweet and subtly spicy with an array of texture and flavor. I would highly recommend trying this one!


Ariba! Spicy Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients

1 large turkey breast
1 can cranberry jelly
½ green pepper, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic
2 jalepenos, seeded & diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Directions

1. Put diced onions, green pepper, garlic, and salt and pepper in bowl
2. Add cranberry jelly and stir well
3. Place raw (can be frozen) turkey breast in slow cooker
4. Spoon cranberry mixture over turkey breast
5. Cook on low for 10 hours
6. Shred turkey breast, and spoon the cranberry sauce over shredded chicken

Cost:

3 lb free-range turkey breast: $9.00
1 can organic cranberry jelly: $1.50
½ organic green pepper: $.75
1 organic onion: $.35
1 jalepeno: $.25
Garlic: $.10

Total: $11.95
(I had about 1 pound of turkey leftover and used it in soup)

0 comments:

Post a Comment