Basic Roasted Chicken Recipe*
1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken, giblets removed
1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Heat oven to 450° F. Place a rack in a large ovenproof skillet or small roasting pan. Pat the chicken dry and place it in the pan. Tuck the wings beneath the chicken, as if it were placing its arms behind its head. Rub the oil over the skin. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper. Toss the remaining salt into the cavity.
2. Roast for 20 minutes. Add 1 cup water and roast until the chicken is cooked through and the thigh meat registers 180° F on a meat thermometer, about 40 minutes more.
3. Use a spatula to loosen the chicken. With a wad of paper towels in each hand, transfer the bird to a cutting board. Let it rest for at least 15 minutes before carving. If making a pan sauce, reserve the drippings.
Other Rubs and Ways to Prepare
- Rosemary, Lemon & Garlic *
- Roast Chicken with Herbed Cream Sauce
- Roast Chicken with Red Wine Sauce
- Roast Chicken with Moroccan Spice Rub *
- Orange, Soy, and Five Spice Rub *
My husband, Brandon, came up with a great idea right before our daughter was born. When whole chickens go on sale at Sprouts for $.67/lb I buy 5-6 of them at a time, and then come home and season them with the different recipes above. Once the chickens are seasoned I put them in freezer bags, and into the freezer they go. Then when it's time for them to thaw they are thawing with the seasonings, and I have an easy go-to dinner!
All recipes in this post came from Real Simple