This is a versitile recipe that is very easy to make and change up! I have to hide batches of it around the kitchen otherwise it will be gone in a day.
4 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup butter
1/2-2/3 cup packed brown sugar (I like 1/2, husband likes 2/3)
1 tablespoon vanilla
Slivered almonds, or any other nut
Dried fruits (craisins, raisins, apricots, etc)
- Warm oil in a large skillet (electric is best)
- Pour in 4 cups of oats. Stir and cook until golden brown - about 10 minutes.
- While oats are cooking warm up butter, brown sugar, and vanilla in a saucepan. Cook until the mixture starts to bubble. *This is where you can add pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, honey, etc. to flavor the oats.
- Once oats are golden and crisp pour the sugar mixture over oats that are in skillet. Mix well.
- Pour oats into a large container with lid off where they can cool, and add nuts and dried fruit of choice.
Cost (No Nuts/Fruit):
4 cups oats (sale 3lbs/$1): $.50
Olive Oil: >$.15
Brown Sugar & Vanilla: $.35
Total: $1.25/1.5 lbs granola